Monday, April 26, 2010

Homemade Oven Cleaner

Let's start off by saying I HATE cleaning the oven. I hate the scrubbing, the smell, just the thought of cleaning the oven bums me out. Our oven is the only appliance in our house that has not been replaced. It is the original oven and yes, I will admit I was kinda hoping it would give out so I had an excuse to buy a new one. That is how much I hate cleaning. But, since it is such a trusty old thing and doesn't look to be dying anytime soon, I decided I had better just bite the bullet and clean it.

I have been wanting to try a homemade cleaner for awhile because the fumes from the store bought stuff are just so bad. Now that I am expecting, I figured it would be a good time to try a safer version so that I don't have to inhale those horrible fumes.

This is the before picture. (Yes, I am terribly embarrassed to even show this.)Here is the after picture. I was quite impressed with how well it cleaned. I think it could have used another coating and sat overnight again, but like I said I hate cleaning the oven so this is good enough for me!

Here is the recipe I used.
2 Cups of hot water
1/8 cup dish soap
1/4 cup of vinegar
3 tsp of borax

Baking Soda

Mix the water, dish soap, vinegar and borax into a spray bottle. Coat the inside of your oven with the liquid. Next, generously cover the oven in baking soda. Once it is covered, spray the liquid over the entire oven again. Allow to sit overnight.Scrape it out in the morning and clean off the rest of the residue with hot water. The best part? You don't have that nasty smell leftover that the commercial brands usually leave behind.

2 comments:

  1. I love homemade cleaners. Thanks for the recipe!! Impressive clean-up job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try that - I hate the fumes from oven cleaner!

    ReplyDelete