Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Homemade Bread in the Kitchen Aid Mixer

For Christmas this year my dear husband bought me a KitchenAid standing mixer.  I was totally excited.  I was sold on them last year after using my in-laws during the canning season to process tomatoes.  There is all sorts of fun attachments you can buy to help you do just about anything in the kitchen.

The mixer came with a dough hook and even though I was skeptical I decided to give bread a try.  I used the recipe that came with the mixer and I was very impressed.  The bread was a hit with my family and it is super easy and doesn't take much time.

When I started making my own bread a few years ago, I did all my kneading by hand and it was so time consuming.  I eventually found a recipe that I could use for my bread machine and I have made all my own rolls, breadsticks and basic bread that way for quite some time.  Now that I have a KitchenAid, this is my go to way of making bread.  I have been making bread once or twice a week for the last few weeks and everyone has been happy with it.

Here is the recipe I use.  It will make 2 loaves.

1/2 cup milk
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 Tablespoons butter

2 packages yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
5-6 cups of all-purpose flour

Place milk, sugar, salt and butter in a saucepan and heat over low till butter is melted and sugar dissolves   Cool to lukewarm.

Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed mixing bowl.  Add milk mixture and 4 1/2 cups of flour.  Using dough hook mix on speed 2 for about 1 minute.  Continue on speed 2 and add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time.   Mix until dough clings to hook and cleans the sides of the bowl.  Knead on speed 2 for 2 minutes long or until dough is smooth and elastic.  Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch.

Place dough in greased bowl and cover.  Allow to rise for 1 hour or double in bulk.  Punch down dough and divide in half.  Shape each half into a loaf and place in well greased loaf pan.  Cover and let rise about 1 hour or double in bulk.

Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown about 30 minutes.  Cool on wire racks.

You will want to remove bread from pans and allow to cool on wire rack.  
This post is linked to the Frugal Tuesday Tip hosted here at Learning the Frugal Life.

3 comments:

  1. I've never had much luck with bread machines - I've always had very heavy,dense loaves from them. Maybe I should have just used the "dough" program and finished the dough off in the oven.
    Although I don't have a KitchenAid, maybe I can give the above recipe a try with the dough hooks I got with my handheld mixer.
    In the meantime, can anyone recommend a fabulous bread-making machine? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use to make bread a least once a month and I would knead by hand. I miss those days. I'm thinking about making bread sometime soon. I don't have a mixer so I guess, I will be using my hands again. Your bread turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worked like a charm on my mixer. I will definitely be making this again. Thank you! It topped off our Easter dinner nicely.

    Diana C

    ReplyDelete