Saturday, February 28, 2009

Look how much we saved on our electric bill!


For the first time in a very long time I was excited to receive my energy bill in the mail! For the past couple years I have kept track of the energy bills I pay each month. I save all the bills each month and then at the end of the year I write them all down on 1 piece of paper and then throw out the originals. I have no idea why I started this. I do it with every utility. I guess I like to track what directions our bills are going.

I got my electric bill in the mail the other day and the total was $208.81. This is for both gas and electric. When I pulled out my copies of the last 2 years bills from February I was shocked to see what the difference was. In 2007 our bill was $330.21 and in 2008 it was $317.23. Our bill this year was over $100 cheaper!

This is what the profile showed.

For electric usage our average cost per day was $2.41 compared to $2.68 last year.
For gas usage our average cost per day was $4.78 compared to $8.47 last year.

Since our 30 Days of Nothing we have really been cutting back on our energy usage. We have lowered the thermostat by 3-5 degrees, tried to make sure lights are off when not in use and only using our major appliances in non peak hours. I really think our bill has been lowered so much because of these changes. We did add some insulation in our attic last year as well, so that has had to make a positive difference.

Just thought I would share with you what can happen when you cut back on your energy use. Feel free to read my post about saving money on your eclectic bill for more ideas.

2 comments:

  1. That is really awesome! You can't find better motivation than that. Great job!

    ReplyDelete