Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Saving Money on Prescriptions

We spend alot of money on prescriptions each month. Even with insurance, with 3 out of the 6 of us on daily medication it gets pretty expensive. Along the way, I have found a few small ways to save a little money.

First and foremost ask for samples. If they don't have any this month check back next month. Drug reps are always leaving samples. If you feel comfortable you can ask if the nurse can call you if they get your medication in.

Check for rebates. I have had 2 medications that have had rebates on them. One came with the samples I received from the doctor. The other, the doctor actually gave to me. I know when I worked at a clinic in the past some medicines came with rebate cards and the doctor didn't hand them out. So, it never hurts to ask.

Check to see if your medicine comes in generic. This can save you alot of money too. The medication is the same you just get it much cheaper.

Check to see if your medication falls under the $4 generic plan that is offered at different pharmacies. I have 2 medicines that come in generic form. From Walgreens it is priced at the lowest tier and cost me $10.00. At Target it qualifies on the $4 generic plan. So I had it transferred. Even though my insurance doesn't cover Target, under the $4 generic plan they don't run it through your insurance. To see if your medication qualifies check here. I am pretty sure K-Mart and Wal-Mart offer this too.

Watch for coupons for new or transferred prescription. Walgreens just came out with a new coupon for a $25 Walgreens gift card with a new or transferred Prescription. I actually just took advantage of this last night. I had my prescription at Target, I took the bottle into Walgreens told them I wanted it transferred and they took care of the rest. So, I spent $10 for my prescription and got a $25 gift card in return. Target will periodically put out $10 coupons for new or transferred scripts as well. When that comes out I will transfer it back to Target and get another gift card. I have seen them for K-Mart as well.

Prescriptions can cost an arm and a leg. For my family we spend approximately $230 every month. So any little way to save a buck or two is helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment