Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Canning Time


I have had a busy couple days. I spent part of Saturday and Sunday canning peaches that I got on sale at the store. (.78 lb) I bought about 40lbs and canned 16 quarts. My kiddos love peaches! I have 2 peach trees but neither of them produced this year. Last year my sister and I canned over 60 quarts! That lasted us all Winter. Here is what my trees looked like last year.

I follow the directions for canning peaches out of my Blue Ball canning book, but I also found this great website with wonderful photos if you are interested. Peaches are on sale at most stores this week. I know Fareway has them for $.88 lb and last I checked Wal-Mart had them for $.78 lb.

We also got 4 jars of salsa canned. We are in desperate need to can more, as we have an abundance of hot peppers and tomatoes now!

4 comments:

  1. Could make peach salsa, it can be really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, just found your blog today and its very good. I will probably be grabbing your button for my blog. Anyway, Im curious as a home canning newbie, are you water bathing or pressure canning your peaches?

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe you could find someone to trade -- peppers for ??? craigslist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leah,
    I am using a water bath canner for my peaches.

    ReplyDelete