Friday, September 4, 2009

Help!

Calling all Readers! I am in desperate need of some help! I am trying to make my first batch of tomato sauce. It isn't going so well so I am turning here for some advise. Here is the problem.

I had 16 pints of cherry tomatoes frozen that I cooked down today and then put through the food mill to remove all the skins and seeds. There really wasn't alot of pulp. Mostly juices. I did add the meat of about 6 larges tomatoes just to add a little more pulp to the mixture. I added my spices, green pepper and an onion to the food processor and mixed that in too. After 5 hours it still looks like this...Soup. Any suggestions for making it thicker? I figured I would leave it in the crock pot all night to cook down and see what happens but I have a bad feeling it won't do much. I am really wanting to can this when it is all done. I have no idea how to thicken it up. Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you.

5 comments:

  1. I know some people add canned tomato paste. I haven't ever done that because I figured if I was going to make something from scratch I wanted it to really be from scratch. I think basically you need to keep cooking it but with the lid off so it can evaporate. I hate to admit it but I have given up on the making of tomato spaghetti sauce because of that trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use tomato paste to help thicken mine up. I usually use two or three small cans of tomato paste and then let it cook a long time. Hope that helps

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely cook it with the lid off at a simmer. It will take awhile. Good luck! Grandma A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try adding a tablespoon of arrowroot powder and simmer. it is a thickener like cornstarch but much healthier for you. hth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made some spaghetti sauce and did basically what you did, but I did add tomato paste and simmered for awhile. It turned out really well, so I don't think all hope is lost! :)

    ReplyDelete