Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Homemade Birthday Cake

One way we save money on birthdays is by making our own birthday cakes. This not only saves us money but has also become a tradition in our family. The kids are always excited to see what kind of cake I can come up with.

I made this cake for my sons birthday today. He turned 4. His request was a monkey cake with chocolate chips. I used regular store bought cake mix and frosting. The dark frosting is chocolate and the lighter frosting is vanilla that I tinted with brown coloring. I used chocolate chips for the eyes, nostrils and mouth.

Total cost of the cake, roughly $3.00.

Linked to Frugal Friday at Life as Mom.

4 comments:

  1. The monkey cake is so cute! I agree about making birthday cakes at home to save money. I think they're also extra-special in our memories and photo albums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year was the first year we made our own cake for our son. It was a simple chocolate cake with chocolate icing. We crumbled up oreo cookies and placed gummy worms on top! It was a delicious dirt cake! It was MUCH cheaper and we will definitely be doing that next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! I am making (will attempt it anyway) a star wars cake for my son's birthday cake this weekend. should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always enjoyed making my kids cakes. I love that most companies that sell cake mixes have GREAT tutorials on thier web sites. Both Betty Crocker and Pillsbury have nice ones.

    ReplyDelete