Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Frugal Halloween Costumes

With Halloween right around the corner it is time to start thinking about that costume for your child (or yourself!) if you haven't done so already. Halloween costumes don't have to be expensive. There are many options. See the little pumpkin man above? That costume has been around the block. My 11-year-old wore that when he was 4. My 4-year-old wore it last year and now this year my 3-year-old will wear it.

The crazy looking skeleton man and the ninja, both of those costumes were bought at Target last year at the end of the season for 90% off. I spent $2.50 for the skeleton and $1.30 for the ninja. So watch for clearance costumes at the end of this season.

Of course you can always watch garage sales and thrift stores for cheap costumes.

Making your own costume is also a very frugal and fun option. My niece made a clever costume a few years ago that I remember. She went as a "smarty pants" and glued smarties candy all over an old pair of pants. Here is a helpful website with hundreds of costume ideas. Simple ideas like cotton candy...dress yourself in a white sweatsuit for the stick and wrap your upper body and head with pink tulle!

For more frugal ideas visit Frugal Friday at Life as Mom.

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas. I also shop Goodwill for costumes. We found a like new Barbie princess costume for our 6 year old for $2.99

    Oh- I got the book yesterday...it looks great. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete