Monday, March 8, 2010

Bulk Shopping Purchases

Last week I gave you some tips about buying in bulk. Now I am going to share with you a few of the purchases I made on my first trip to the bulk store, Sam's Club.

First off I went to Sam's with my step-mother who has a membership there. I wanted to see what all they had to offer. I was really curious to see if they sold yeast and what the price would be because I have been using alot of it lately and I am paying $5.xx a jar for only 4 oz.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a 2lb package of yeast for $4.16! A steal. Along with the yeast my other great bargains for the day included 101 oz of Extra Virgin Olive Oil for $16.98 ( I just paid $10.xx for a 48 oz bottle that was on price cut a few weeks ago at Target, I thought that was a good deal), 16 oz Pure Vanilla Extract for $6.48, butter for $1.64 lb, and a 45 oz bag (approx. 9 cups) of whole natural almonds for $9.78.

There are definitely some great deals to be found when shopping at bulk food stores. Not everything though is cheaper just because you can buy it in larger quantities. Having my calculator saved me many times from purchasing something that seemed like a good deal but after doing the math, I realized I could get it cheaper waiting for it to go on sale or using a coupon at my local grocer.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on your first trip! :)

    Yes I have found that any spices or baking goods are going to be cheaper at Sam's. I have found several things like eggs, and canned veggies that I can get cheaper at the grocery store with sales. :)

    So it is great to take a calculator or have a price book made so that you know you are getting a good deal with the bulk purchase. :)

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Those are all things I buy regularly at the wholesale store.

    ReplyDelete