Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Homemade Granola

Google "granola recipe" and it will turn up thousands of recipes. This recipe was given to me by my step-mother. She sent some home one day and now it has become a favorite of ours. My husband takes this to work and eats it with milk each morning.

Ingredients
5 c. uncooked oatmeal
2 c. wheat germ
1 c. sunflower seeds
1 c. unsweetened coconut
1 1/2 c. whole bran
3/4 c. sunflower oil ( I used vegetable oil, because thats what I had)
1/4 c. molasses
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

I also added about 3/4 c. flax seed as well.

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Bake at 250 degrees for 2 hours, stirring a couple times to mix in molasses and smooth out clumps. When cool, you may add raisins, dates, nuts or dried fruit. Store in airtight containers. Freezes well.

After cooking I added chopped almonds and pecans. This recipe fills 4 quart sized jars.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds good. It is so costly when purchased. I have a trick with raisins when used in recipes that call for moistness. Soak them is water or a bit of juice and that adds extra moisture to cookies. Don't know why that one came up to tell you. I guess this recipe made me think of it.
    Have you ever tried dried berries or cherries so good in granola.

    ReplyDelete