Friday, April 23, 2010

Homemade Dishwasher Soap

I have been experimenting the last couple months with my homemade dishwasher soap. At first I was not a huge fan. It didn't clean as well as commercial brands and left spots on the glass. However, I have increased the amount (from 1T to about 1 1/2-2T) and it seems to be working better for me. I also added vinegar to my rinse dispenser which I think has helped too.

Here is the recipe I have been using.

1 Cup Washing Soda
1 Cup Borax
1/2 Cup Salt
1/2 Cup Citric Acid (like Fruit Fresh)

Mix together and store tightly covered in a Mason Jar. Use 1-2 Tablespoons per load. Add vinegar to the rinse dispenser for best results.

For those really greasy, dirty loads I am keeping my commercial soap on hand-just in case. But for everyday washing this seems to be working well.

Linked to Frugal Friday at Life as Mom.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I've been trying to find a homemade dishwasher detergent that really works. I think most of our dishes have greasy or stuck-on food, so I'm not sure that any homemade detergent will work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a recipe that using Lemon koolaid mixes but I'm going to give your recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, I find that dipping the dishes in hot water and getting all the big stuff off before washing really helps.

    Lara, I bet the lemon Koolaid smells good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My question is whether it leaves your dishes dry to not. I have had this problem when purchasing a cheaper product, my dishes are so wet (even on dry cycle) that we have to towel dry them, such a pain. When I purchase Cascade, I don't have to do this! Thanks and hope to hear your response!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy,
    Unfortunately I can't tell you if it drys your dishes or not because I have the dry cycle turned off on our dishwasher. Once the wash is over I just open the door to let them air dry. Does anyone else know the answer if they use homemade dishwasher soap?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Great Idea. Just checking out what great things your up to.
    I have a free directory you can enter your link into if you like, as well as a free e-report about growing a blog you can read.

    Today I have a post about hot buttons to push for more blogging and business success if your interested.

    http://bloggerchixdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It very good thinks that I saw. keep it up..
    Commercial Dishwasher

    ReplyDelete