Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Not What I Expected...

This wasn't what I expected when I went to check for eggs yesterday morning. I was sitting at the kitchen table when I heard lots of sqwaking outside. I figured I better go check it out. I realized the gate door and the house door where both left open overnight. When I first opened the house door I saw all the hens on the floor of the house. They were sqwaking and running around. I figured they were just antsy to get outside.

So I shut the door and locked the gate. I decided to check for eggs and that is when I saw this guy. He was all curled up in the nest box. I was shocked to say the least. I opened up the doors of the gate and coop and headed into the house to get my camera and call my husband for advise! (I figured no one would believe me if I didn't have proof).Then I went back out and was able to scare him into the corner of the house where he just sat huddled. In the meantime I tried to push all the hens outside but they wouldn't go because of the snow on the ground. Finally I got them out.I then called my brother who lives next door. He came right over and was able to get him out. We then had to chase the birds around the yard to get them back in the house so they didn't freeze their feet! It was quite the event.

Thankfully no one was injured in the above chaos! All the birds were unharmed. We learned our lesson though. ALWAYS close the door at night.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like craziness! Glad the chickens are all okay and think it could have been worse - you could have had a possum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This kind of happened to me last fall. I opened the lid to the "cat house" and went to put my hand in to get the food bowl. Yep, I had a HUGE raccoon sleeping in there. I screamed, slammed the lid, and waited until night when I knew it would leave. I wondered why the cats were out in the cold and not in their warm house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They can cause some major damage, but they are soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! I would be freaked! I hope I never find one of those in my chicken coop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would have totally scared me! I'm glad your hens are all ok! Do you think he snacked on an egg or two?!

    ReplyDelete