Monday, April 25, 2011

Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches

The younger kids and I were at the Science Center the other day and I was feeling generous so I told them they could pick out a snack. They opted for Push-ups and I chose an ice cream sandwich.

Umm Toll House Ice Cream Sandwich. D.E.licous! The boys were regretting their choices once I gave them a bite of mine. They begged me to buy them one. After paying a hefty $2.99 I wasn't about to buy another one.

I got to thinking...I can make these. How hard could it be? Guess what? Not hard at all. I had all the ingredients for the cookies, I just needed to purchase some vanilla ice cream.

The next day the kids and I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies. I made the cookies double the size I normally do.

Once the cookies were done cooling we added a scoop of vanilla ice cream to each pair of cookies. It is best to let the ice cream sit out a bit so it gets soft. Once you place the ice cream on top just place the other cookie on to make a sandwich.

Place the pan in the freezer for a few hours.
For the cost to buy one of these sandwiches from the cafe I was able to make 9 from scratch at home. Not only where they cheap to make but I was "the best mom ever" for at least one night.

This post is linked to the Frugal Tuesday Tip.

4 comments:

  1. I started a diet yesterday, thanks a lot. ;) Those look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love those Toll House ice cream sandwiches and cringe every time I think about how bad they are for me. I just might have to try these. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are especially good when the cookie is a bit warm still!! I learned this at disney were they make them with fresh warm cookies. YUM!! Now I'm hungry lol

    ReplyDelete