Thursday, June 30, 2011

Chicken Update

The hens are all doing well. The newer birds are finding their place with the older hens. There is still some pecking going on, but things are alot better. The older birds have been spending some of their time in the chicken tractor. They have been wondering off a bit into my neighbors yard and bothering her garden so I have had to keep them a little more confined. The younger birds have been able to free range a bit more since they don't wonder very far from home.
I try and let all of them out most evenings to free range the backyard. My 7 month old daughter is fascinated with them and loves to just sit and watch.They birds also love to take their dust baths.The kids play area that is mulched is their favorite spot. They dig right down and ruffle their feathers in the dirt. It is quite funny to watch.

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed this post. I want a couple of chickens too, as I get the yard with more permanent gardening spots and learn better weed control, chickens will be next. I will remember to leave a bare dirt area.

    ReplyDelete