Thursday, August 4, 2011

Garden Harvest

Here is what was in our garden basket the other day. We harvested a handful of potatoes, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots and jalapeno peppers. Yesterday I picked our first Kohlrabi and butternut squash. The garden is doing well, with the exception of the green beans which are getting eaten by beetles. I was able to can 1 batch but not sure if there will be anymore.

My counter is full of tomatoes waiting to finish ripening and then I will be able to put those up for the winter. Even though the plants have blight I am still getting fruit from them.

How is your garden doing?

5 comments:

  1. Not too well! Something ate an entire (tiny) head of lettuce. My zucchinis are about an inch long. My carrots are miniature and my beets are too (but the greens are delicious!).

    Our snap peas have some pods but my snow peas don't have any.

    This is our first year of gardening in our community garden. Some of the plots are so lush and full but ours is pathetic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer Paula. My zucchini is terrible this year too. The plant is just huge but I haven't gotten anything from it. So frustrating to do all that work and get nothing from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm finally getting zucchini. I had a hard time with cucumber beetles. They pretty much destroyed my cucumbers. I thought they were going to destroy all of my cucurbits and was about to rip them all out when the beetles and squash bugs just disappeared. Can't believe they are gone, but they are! :-) I sprayed with Neem Oil a couple times and with Sevin once, but nothing for at least a month before they disappeared. Glad they're gone! I'm also getting tomatoes, cabbage, potatoes, bell peppers. I love gardening!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle that is awesome the bugs went away. Sigh...I wish I could say the same for my beetle problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well...it was short lived. They're back. I'm still confused as to where they went. But, the break was long enough to get a few zucchinis, so I guess I'm happy! ;-)

    ReplyDelete