Monday, August 1, 2011

Tips for Shopping Garage Sales

One of my favorite things to do is go to garage sales. My kids and I have made it our traditional Friday morning outing. I love finding good deals and spending pennies on items that would normally cost dollars brand new. Here are a few deals I found last week.

I got this winter coat, that can also be transformed into a jacket and matching hat and mittens for my daughter for $4. You couldn't buy just the hat for $4.
Below are clothes I purchased for my 15 year old son. I got 3 dress shirts, one was Gap, 4 Nike shirts including one that had the tags still on, a pair of jeans and a pair of American Eagle shorts. Total spent for the lot $11. You might be able to buy one of those shirts for $11 brand new and I got 10 articles of clothing for that price.Here are a few tips to keep in mind while shopping at garage sales.

1. Take small bills. Keep your change throughout the week and stock up on dollar bills.
2. Go early if you can. Good stuff will go fast so the earlier you can get stated the better.
3. Make a list of the things you are looking for. With my children I have a list of all the sizes I am looking for and try to buy for the next size/season ahead.
4. Plan your route. Check the paper and/or craigslist for list of sales. I usually follow the same route each week unless I see a block sale or something that I feel like I should hit first.
5. Have gas in your vehicle. I hate starting off and then realizing I have to stop and get gas.
6. Bring snacks and water for yourself and kids if your bringing them along. This will keep you from running through a drive through or gas station for treats.

Do you enjoy garage sales? This post is linked to the Frugal Tuesday Tip hosted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment