Thursday, March 15, 2012

Planning the Garden


(Photo of my garden in May 2011)

I have been thinking a lot about my garden lately. I am trying to figure out what exactly I want to plant.

Part of the process of planning my garden depends on what I have left from last seasons preserve. I try and put up a good amount of fruits and vegetables to sustain my family through the non-growing months. I went down to the pantry and took inventory of what I had left.

As far as canned goods go, I still have a decent supply of green beans, tomatoes, salsa, peaches, chicken stock and jellies. Items that I am low on are pears, applesauce, and corn. For frozen items I still have some shredded zucchini, hot peppers, rhubarb, cherries, and a few bags of corn. I am completely out of diced peppers and onions, applesauce, peas, and sadly all our berries are gone too.

This year I will be taking some items out of the garden like watermelon, potatoes and kholrobi. We either didn't have good luck growing it or didn't eat enough of that item to have it take up space in our garden (kholrobi). I will be adding things this year like more lettuce, sugar snap as well as regular peas, and a variety of beans. Once I get my list pinned down I will share with you what we will be planting.

I am so excited to get out and start digging in the dirt. Have you started planning your garden?

2 comments:

  1. I've just started planning our garden. Ours is very small but I'm hoping to expand. I want to add some raspberry bushes along our back fence line. We want to move our garden to a different area and make it bigger but it would involve terracing a sloped area and I'm not sure the materials are in the budget in time for spring planting this year. Hopefully next year we'll be able to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got seedlings going under a grow light in my kitchen! I love planning for our garden! http://homefront.prudentliving.com/my-garden-seeds-are-sprouting/

    ReplyDelete