Monday, April 9, 2012

Homemade Smoothie - Sneaking in those Veggies

My family loves smoothies! We have smoothies for snack once in a while, but mainly I eat them for lunch a couple times a week. It makes a yummy, healthy inexpensive meal.

I have always added spinach to our smoothies because it is a great way to get in a serving of veggies. Spinach has a very mild flavor and you don't even taste it. This weekend my husband suggested I toss some cauliflower into his smoothie. I was very hesitant to try it. I added 3 large chunks to the blender. I was surprised that I couldn't taste it either.

So today I made a smoothie for lunch and here is how I made it. Keep in mind I don't measure anything. I put it all in the blender and mix it until it is the consistency I like.In a blender-
add about 3/4 cup yogurt (I used Stoneyfields vanilla yogurt)
a handful of spinach
a handful of cauliflower
a handful of frozen strawberries
a handful of frozen raspberries
1 banana

Blend and add in enough liquid to get your desired consistency. Today I used Soy milk because we are needed to get that used up. I usually add regular milk and have used apple juice before.

Do you make smoothies? What is your favorite flavor?

This post is linked to the Frugal Tuesday Tip hosted here at Learning the Frugal Life.

8 comments:

  1. I just had a smoothie today and I put in carrots, spinach, an apple peeled and seeded, two peeled but not seeded tangerines, pineapple juice and homemade yogurt. I added some honey at the end because the seeds left an after taste that seemed bitter. I can drink it but the hubs didn't like it. I can't substitute it for a meal because it doesn't fill me up like food. Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot: frozen strawberries and frozen blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that's what I do: sneak some kale into the smoothie for my men!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post! I've been wanting to get into smoothies that are healthy. Love the addition of spinach:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! We make slushies with no dairy so my daughter can eat them. Strawberry/peach/spinach is really good, although blackberries will hide anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. frozen Mango + banana + coconut milk + orange juice

    frozen mango + frozen peach + vanilla yogurt + orange juice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can also add spinach! I didn't mind the spinach, but my kiddos (4.5yrs and 9mos) didn't care for it in the smoothie.

      Delete
  7. I got given a juicer the other day (brand new, never used) and I've been making a apple/orange(no peel)/carrot juice I love!

    ReplyDelete