Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Homemade Birthday Cake

My third son celebrated his 7th birthday last month.  I always make all the kids birthday cakes.  His request this year was a bit over the top. 

"Mom, I want a football cake with Lego guys versing Star Wars guys."

Usually I would do one of those.  I am not very artsy so a football, or a Lego guy or a Star Wars character would have been doable for me.  Here is what I came up with.

I usually do not buy anything for decorations when it comes to cakes.  This defeats the purpose of making my own to "save money".  However we did buy the mini Star Wars figures for this cake.  We just incorporated it into his birthday gift.  The Lego guys were from Legos we already had and my second oldest son was happy to make some characters for his brother's cake. 

I figured even with buying the figurines that went on top of the cake I still probably saved money over buying a store bought cake.  I spent $.79 on the mix itself, made homemade buttercream frosting, and spent $10 on the figures. 

I have a few more pictures of  my kids birthday cakes you can see here.  Do you make your own cakes?  This post is linked to the Frugal Tuesday Tip hosted here at Learning the Frugal Life.

1 comment:

  1. Great cake! My kids would love that!

    I try to make all the cakes, though if I don't have time, I don't sweat it.

    ReplyDelete