Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Homemade Italian Tomato Sauce


I have had an abundance of tomatoes already this year!  For the past few days I have been cooking down homemade Italian tomato sauce.  I am trying a new recipe this year and thought I would share it with you because it has turned out really delicious.  
First, I washed and then cut all my tomatoes in half.  I spread them out on a cookie sheet.  Drizzled olive oil, salt, and pepper over them.  I added cut up onions and lots of garlic.  I then topped it with fresh basil.  I placed it in the oven at 250 degrees for 2 hours.  
Once they were well roasted I pulled them out, let them cool and then ran the whole batch through my KitchenAid food strainer.  I placed the pulp onto the stove and cooked it down till the sauce reached the desired consistency.  
I decided to make one more batch in the oven but I removed all the skin and seeds from the tomatoes and once it was roasted I pureed it a bit and added it to the original batch to thicken it up.

Here it is on the stove and almost all ready to preserve!  

On a side note.  I posted on my Facebook page that my first batch of tomato sauce tasted really bitter and I couldn't figure out how to fix it.  I have since discovered thanks to my husbands research that you should not cook tomatoes (or any acidic foods) in aluminum pans because it can lead to a metallic, bitter flavor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment