Thursday, March 26, 2009

Homemade Biscuits

I have really stepped up my game at baking from scratch. It has cost us less money to make from scratch vs buying pre-packaged foods. I also feel proud when I know that what I am eating has come from my own work. I have been on a baking kick lately and have my freezer well stocked with breads and muffins.

This week my youngest and I made homemade biscuits. They beat any store bought biscuits we've had. Very easy to make too. Here is the recipe.Buttermilk Biscuits

2 cups all purpose flour
1 T baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter, shortening or margarine
3/4 cup buttermilk

In a bowl stir together all dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center. Add buttermilk and stir just till dough clings together.

On a lightly floured surface knead dough gently for 10-12 strokes. Roll or pat dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter (or I use a glass) dipping in flour between cuts.

Place biscuits on greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes 10-12
Here is my helper! He really was happy, just not about getting his picture taken!

For more ideas on making your own vs store bought visit Cents to Get Debt Free. Also, visit Life as Mom for more Frugal Friday ideas.

18 comments:

  1. those biscuits look delicious. they're probably excellent warm with butter and jam! oh, and as a breakfast sandwich... you're making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful biscuits! I make biscuits all the time, but I think your recipe looks better than mine. ;-) I'll be trying it soon. Thanks for sharing.

    Oh, and the flour faced helper? Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those biscuits look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow--I want a biscuit! Your little helper is a cutie!

    Doesn't it fell fantastic to create things for your family?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Biscuits look great! Cute pic!
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up eating and making biscuits, from scratch. My husband and son don't like homemade biscuits. Can you believe it?! What would my Southern relatives say if they knew?!
    At least there's other foods that they will eat from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! These look scrumptious! THanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo. Yum. I gotta try these. They look easier than my biscuit recipe (they don't need self-rising flour!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you don't use enough buttermilk to justify buying it fresh, you can buy powdered buttermilk and then make up as much as you need for the recipe. I'm sure that fresh buttermilk will make a better product, but it might be more economical to use the powdered. It all depends on how often you use it.

    Mom B

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never thought about getting powdered buttermilk. I didn't even know they sold that! I will have to see what the price difference is. We usually only buy buttermilk if we are looking at making waffles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! these look awesome, I've made biscuits before and mine turned out like hockey pucks! You inspired me to try again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look way better than the ones I made on Sunday for Canon's baptism. Did you get a chance to try them? They were Onion and Bacon Biscuits I got from a Better Homes and Gardens mag. I won't make those again, but I'll have to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stef~
    I didn't try them, sounds like its a good thing lol! I did like the muffins though, they were yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the recipe for these biscuits. I have always wanted to make homemade biscuits, but never knew how. This recipe looks easy enough for me. Thank you.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a mom who works full time, convenience is a must - but so is frugality and healthy eating. Can these be frozen in their dough stage? If so, how?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Made these this morning. Used the "vinegar in milk" trick to make "buttermilk." So very tasty! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am going to try these really soon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Iva,
    I have never frozen them. I am not sure if you could or not.

    Amy,
    Your welcome! I am glad you liked them. I like them with my homemade chicken and noodles. My son requested that I make them again the next day so he could eat them with just jelly on them!

    ReplyDelete