Friday, February 5, 2010

My Inner Dilema

On one hand the deal finder in me really wanted to go to Fareway this week and stock up on salad dressing. You can get Ken's Dressing for $.88 this week. That's a great deal, and so convenient to have in the pantry.

On the other hand I am a bit obsessed with getting my family on a healthier, real food diet. I found this great blog a while back and while reading discovered how to make my own salad dressing. I really like this idea and I think I could probably make it for under $.88 a bottle.

So, I think I am forgoing the deal at Fareway this week and going to use up what I have in the fridge. Once that is gone, I am going to be trying some of these homemade recipes.

Have any of you made homemade dressing before?

5 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of just good old olive oil and vinegar with a little salt and pepper. Sometimes I add a sprinkle of sugar if I want a little sweetness. I usually don't mix it up ahead of time and just mix it per salad.

    We are not huge salad dressing users(the kids actually prefer no dressing at all!) but that is one of the worst things I think we probably do keep on hand-health wise.

    I would be surprised if it's possible to really save money by making dressings as opposed to buying them on sale with coupons though. I imagine most recipes will call for olive oil and that is expensive!

    Again, it's the price you have to decide if it's worth paying. If it's something you use a lot of it may be worth paying extra to make. If you really don't overuse it maybe it's not a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention....sometimes when the kids do want dip for their veggies I use light sour cream and add some onion powder, garlic powder, maybe some Italian seasoning or whatever herbs sound good to make my own ranch style dip. I will use that on salads too and it doesn't take much at all for good flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. asian sesame dressing -- from earthbound farms recipe collection. it's the only sweet dressing that i like. vinegar and oil for us. if you want strawberry vinegar, I have some for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes. Try making a red wine vinegar vinagrette!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas Maria. Thanks. Julia, I would love to try strawberry vinegar. Yum! Also I love red wine vinagrette! I use to just add that to oil and salt and pepper but stopped doing that a long time ago for some reason. Going to start up again though.

    ReplyDelete