Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sick Hen Update

After speaking with the ISU Extension office a few days ago about my bird I am not a whole lot closer to figuring out what is wrong with her. He told me that her symptoms could be the result of many different diseases. He suggested I keep her separate from the other birds and treat her with an antibiotic. The antibiotic will only fix her if she has a bacterial infection. Even then it still may not cure her.

I stopped at the feed store and picked up the medicine. It only cost $4.50 so that was a relief. It's just a powder I mix in with her water. She seems to be drinking ok so we will see what happens.

As for eating she isn't doing real well. I have been getting her to eat some yogurt and scrambled eggs. I have let her outside the last 3 days but she ends up just standing there, only pecking the ground occasionally.

I have to treat her for the next 10 days. This means 10 more days with a chicken in the basement. I need to find something better to put her in since she is going to be there a little longer than I had originally thought.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh...I hope she snaps out of it! I love chickens! When my mom was a little girl she had a pet chicken that she dressed up in doll clothes & pushed around in her baby buggy! And according to her the chicken tolerated this quite well!

    ReplyDelete