Monday, January 7, 2013

Organizing the Pantry


I have gotten a few emails from readers curious if I was doing a 30 days of nothing challenge for the month of January.  The answer to that is no.  My husband and I discussed it but honestly time has been the biggest factor.  The holidays snuck up on us this year.  We haven't had a lot of down time.  Blogging took a back seat and I didn't even have time to think about, yet alone plan out a "30 days of nothing" challenge. 

Our goal for January however is to cut way back on our spending.  I am hoping to stay out of the stores for the rest of the month with the exception of  fresh produce and dairy each week. 

We are focusing on eating from the pantry and freezers right now.  I spent the better part of the weekend cleaning, organizing and labeling my pantry.  The first step in eating from the pantry is to know what you have.  I tried to organize all our food into categories and then label the shelves.  Canned goods, condiments, baking items, pasta, etc.  This makes it easier not only for myself but for directing my kids where to get items when they need them.

I also went through and checked expiration dates and made sure the items that were close to expiration were in the front. Most products are good well past their expiration date but it is good to use up these items first. 

I am thinking about hosting an eat from the pantry challenge for February.  With my pantry well stocked, I could definitely save some money in the grocery category by spending a month or so strictly eating and basing our meals from what we have on hand.  Anyone interested in joining in?

3 comments:

  1. I am also in the process of doing this and I am planning on manking March our no spend month with softball season sneaking up on me and the kids always wanting to go to the concession stand during the season it I am going to be stocking up on treats for them now so we have plenty for when softball starts and we don't have to go to the concession stand :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been doing this almost all winter... My pantry was filled, my freezer was filled.. Now my pantry is still half full and my freezer goods are dwindling but I can still do many weeks without purchasing anything more than produce and milk and eggs. I love pantry challenges :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I filled my pantry also. The only thing we run out of is drinks, like Welch's Sparkling grape juice and etc. Maybe I need to drink more water, it healthier and cheaper.

    ReplyDelete