Sunday, February 15, 2015

Raising Backyard Chickens

It's almost the end of February.  You know what that means?  Chicks will soon be hitting the stores!  My current backyard chicken flock consists of 12 hens.  Each year I add a couple more birds to my flock to replace the ones that I have lost throughout the year.  I usually have a handful that I lose to either sickness, old age or a predator.

This year I plan to add 4 new birds.  This will give me a total of 16 birds which is more than sufficient for our family, plus will add a little extra to give away to friends and family.  I'm not sure yet what breeds I will get.  I have had good luck with all my ladies.  I get a great, steady supply of eggs each day.  I'll probably just pick up a few from the feed store once they get them in.

This week I plan to share with you my series on keeping backyard chickens.  Here are the topics I will be discussing.

Why keep chickens?  5 reasons to get you thinking.
Can I keep chickens?
Bringing chicks home and setting up a brooder.
When and where to buy chicks.
Choosing the right breed.
Where to keep chickens-a guide to housing.
Care and maintenance.
Food and nutrition.

Let's get started!


No comments:

Post a Comment