Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Homemade Baby Food - Carrots

I have been making all my own baby food. It has been pretty easy. This week I'm showing you how to make carrots. Wash, peal and cut carrots. Place carrots into pan. I chose to steam the carrots. You could also boil them, however do not use the leftover water for thinning because nitrates could have seeped into the water. Steam carrots till tender. It took mine about 15 minutes. I actually burned the first batch because I went outside to check on the chickens and apparently my pan ran out of water. Yikes! So, make sure you check your tenderness and your water!Once cooked allow carrots to cool. Place in blender or food processor and puree till desired consistency. Add water a little at a time if needed.

Place puree into ice cube trays and freeze for future use.Read how to make homemade baby food using:
Sweet Potatoes
Bananas
Apples

2 comments:

  1. One of my friends turned me onto the idea of homemade baby food. She did it for her son 3 years ago and immediately said I would love it. I can't wait to make it!!! You are such a good mommy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I refuse to pay grocery store prices when I can make 10x the amount for pennies. Plus, I made sure to plant things in the vegetable garden that wouild be great for baby food. I freeze or can everything and when I need baby food, there it is (and it's even cheaper!).

    ReplyDelete